Wednesday 29 August 2018

Compensation (Episode 9 - A Success!)

I have four outstanding "Delay Repay" claims with the railways.  

Two are with Northern Rail and date back to March and June respectively. The March claim has been accepted but the compensation offered was cash rather the free ticket I'd opted for.  The June claim was refused on the grounds that the train I know was cancelled did in fact run.  I've told Northern that they are wrong on both counts and have involved the transport watchdog "Passenger Focus" but so far I've got nowhere.

Passenger Focus, incidentally, despite initially being keen to get involved seem to have gone strangely quiet of late.

My third claim, from July, was with Trans Pennine. Here, despite me travelling on Advance tickets that are limited to specific trains, Trans Pennine's (automated?) response was to say that actually they thought I would have been using completely different trains and that these trains weren't delayed. (In reality the whole line between Manchester and Sheffield was blocked so NO trains ran). They have refused my claim on these grounds and we are now at the "if you are disatisfied with this response please contact. . ." stage.  I'd expected better from them because in this instance I was travelling First Class!

Congratulations therefore to Arriva Trains Wales (soon to lose their franchise for running trains in Wales). My journey on 4th August was actually the least disrupted of all - only 20 minutes delay - but it meant I missed a connection and arrived home 45 minutes late.  Arriva has owned up, offered an explanation for the delay and, crucially, promised to pay into my bank account the correct sum owing.

One down - three still to go.

1 comment:

SteveB said...

I hear that Northern is planning to fine passengers without tickets, which is rather ironic.

A fortnight ago in the evening, I went to New Mills Newtown to get a train to Whaley Bridge, two stops further on. There's no ticket machine at New Mills Newtown. The train was almost empty, but the guard failed to leave his seat in the rear cab and sell me a ticket. The train had been delayed at Stockport due to trespassers on the line - but without a ticket, I can't claim compensation!