Thursday 14 January 2010

No News is Good News

Every year, in early January, a letter arrives from the boatyard. Its not a belated Christmas greeting, although it does usually start by wishing me a Happy New Year. It then looks forward to the coming boating season but, regretfully, points out that due to "ever rising costs" mooring fees will be increasing in February!
When I realised that no such letter had arrived this year I made enquiries and was delighted to learn that mooring rates are being held for 2010. The boatyard is even absorbing the increase in VAT (although that shouldn't be too difficult as I don't recall getting a reduction when it went down last year).
Still, its good news: over the last three years my mooring fees have risen by an average of 9% per annum, which is more than three times the increase in my income. Coupled with the very small increase in the BW licence fee, this year should see the standing costs of owing Starcross remain affordable - especially as I plan to retire later in the year which will bring about a considerable reduction in income.

Now all I have to worry about is the Boat Safety Certificate examination due in July!

1 comment:

An English Shepherd said...

Yes that is good news :-)

Nice to have a bit from time to time!