Sunday 10 April 2011

Another Piece in the Jigsaw

Like most owners who haven't had their boat from new I am quite keen to put together a history of Starcross and to learn more about her previous owners. I know that Mark and Mandy, from whom we bought her in 2004 used her as a liveaboard on the Stratford Canal and that before them someone called "Debs" did the same, but beyond that the trail goes cold.
But now, an email arrives from "Ivor", who tells me he owned Starcross between 1998 and 2000 and sends this photo of her in Devizes Marina
Ivor contacted me following my post "When did you last see your water tank" and after reading it puts forward the entirely reasonable suggestion that he may have been the last person to clean it out! 
Just to show that I haven't entirely neglected her maintenance here is a photo of what she looks like now.


I've previously found out that Starcross was built at Aldridge Marina on the BCN in 1990 or 1991 and, from the large number of rally plaques we found on board, spent much of the first two years of her life attending boat rallies in the west midlands. Ivor tells me that he spent his two years covering "most of the navigable system at the time" and did 2300 miles and 1876 locks - about the same in two years as I've done in six!


So, if there's anyone else out there who'd like to confess to owning Starcross in a previous life, please let me know - I promise not to hold it against you!

No comments: