Monday 13 November 2017

Can anyone tell me where this is, please?

This photograph was taken on a boating holiday in, I think, 1973. The boats are "Elstree" (motor) and "Lyra" (Butty) then operated by T&A Collier as a camping pair.  The cargo was a bunch of students from Salford and Newcastle Universities and what was then Trent Polytechnic.  The route was Leighton Buzzard to Nottingham via the Grand Union Canal.




Details of this trip have yet to appear on my "The Boat Trip Years" blog and when I add them I'd like to include the location of this shot, so over to you dear readers. . . ..

(And while you are at it can anyone tell me when I press the " key on my laptop it types an @ and when I press @ I get an "  ?! )   (I deleted "American English" as a language option and downloaded a "UK English" language pack (!) and that seems to have sorted it out. I still don't know where this lock is though!



7 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Jim,
Sorry, can't help with the photo...
But assuming your " is above the 2 key and your @ is above the ' key then I would guess your keyboard 'country settings' are incorrect. You might have English (US) as opposed to English (UK) selected...
Good luck :)

Jim said...

Hello Kevin,
Good to hear from you. I was pretty sure I had UK English selected and I've checked and found that I do. Keyboard settings are also UK English. There's obviously something strange as I when I tried to load the image to the post in Blogger I just got: A network change has been detected. I had to upload the image to an old post and then cut and paste it! (There's always a way!)

Sarah said...

Put it on CanalWorld; you'll have an answer in seconds!

nb Carmel said...

Jim, been playing on Canalplan (coz nothing better to do today!) and have done the entire routes of the various broad canal options between LB and Nottm and unless its completely changed since the photo was taken, I don't think its between those points!!
Sure it's not somewhere else ??
Dave K

Jim said...

Dave,
That's very good of you to go to so much trouble. The photo isn't one of mine but it came as part of a set the rest of which are definitely from that trip. The route from Leighton was Grand Union - Norton Jc - Leicester Section - River Soar and River Trent to Nottingham. The lock cottage looks quite distinctive and I thought that it might act as an identifier, but the photo was taken 44 years ago so who knows what might have happened to it since.

Jim said...

In the end I took Sarah's advice and asked the question on Canal World. It took an hour rather than "seconds" but I now know not only that it is Barrow Deep Lock on the Soar, but also that the trip features in a book written by the boats' owners!

nb Carmel said...

Indeed it is Jim, missed that !!