Thursday 7 June 2018

Northern Rail Being Devious When it Comes to Compensation

Northern Rail's policy on compensation for delays is quite clear

Delay of between 30 and 59 minutes:

Compensation of one single ticket to anywhere on the Northern network. Or 50% of the cost of your single ticket or relevant portion of your return ticket.

So when I was delayed coming home from Carnforth on 15 March I was entitled to compensation of either 55p or a free ticket to the likes of Nottingham, Newcastle, Lincoln or just about anwhere in the north.  It was a no brainer really so my claim for a free ticket was submitted the same day.
In the meantime I have had to remind Northern Rail that I haven't had a reply and have had two contacts with rail watchdog Passenger Focus, who escalated my claim to a "Senior Advisor"!
So how did Northern Rail react?   By sending me this email:
Dear James  Davies,

Thank you for your correspondence in respect to the Northern service on 15
March 2018 with our reference DR-2959-9596.

I am sorry to learn that your journey between Carnforth and Lancaster was
disrupted, and that you were caused a delay as a result. Please be assured
that we are committed to operating a punctual train service on all of our
routes, continually reviewing and monitoring the cause of all delays to our
trains, to ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to reduce their
recurrence wherever this is possible.

Please accept my apologies for the delay you experienced; I have authorised acheque to the value of £0.55. (my emphasis) This will be sent to you by post and should be
received in the next 10 working days, which I hope will be accepted with my
apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Your planned route (scheduled times):
Departing 1617 from Carnforth to Lancaster arriving 1628.

Route we think you took (actual times):
Departed 1703 from Carnforth to Lancaster arrived 1711.

Delay repay does not in any way limit or exclude your other legal rights to
compensation as a consumer where we are at fault, under the Consumer Rights
Act 2015 or otherwise.

Should you have any further queries or concerns then please do not hesitate
to contact us again at delayrepay@northernrailway.co.uk

Kind regards,
Northern 

If they think I'm going to be satisfied with 55p when I am entitled to a free train ride they've got another think coming!

No comments: