Wednesday 20 March 2019

Public Transport is Great When it Works





Once a month Hilary and I go to our local Arts & Community Centre for the Silent Movie Club meeting.  Yesterday's film was the 1920 Classic "The Mark of Zorro"Image result for the mark of zorro 1920

We usually cycle the 2km there and it generally takes twelve minutes, plus a few more to get the bikes out at home and lock them up when we get there.  But yesterday the weather was awful and I had no lights for my bike. Hilary wasn't going so I was going to walk, which takes about 25 mintues, although I'd usually allow a good half-hour.

The Centre is across town and takes two buses, which is why I don't usually consider it as an option, but when I realised there was a bus due in four minutes that would take me halfway there I thought I'd give it a go.

I left home at 19.22 precisely and got to the stop three minutes later (after an uphill walk) just as the bus came into view. I got straight on and despite stopping at every bus stop en-route and every traffic light we got to the city centre in five minutes.  As I got off, at 19.31 a bus that would take me the rest of way (which only runs every 30 minutes) came round the corner  -also bang on time  - and I was there by 19.35.

The downside was that the film doesn't start until 20.00 so although the bus ride was free, it actually cost me the price of a pint while I waited!

But if only every bus journey could be so good!


No comments: