Monday 19 October 2020

On the Austrian Straight and Narrow Part 10

 Wednesday, 11th August 1982

Today's Travels

From Graz (bottom centre) eastwards to Gleisdorf and north to Weiz, then Birkfeld.

Although this holiday was about seeking out "transport oddities" in terms of location, track gauge or antiquity, I very much preferred those lines that were nevertheless fulfilling a genuine transport role. Today's journey, whilst still following that rule, also included what might be termed a "heritage" or "preserved" railway that I decided to include largely because it had had a good write-up in the "Austrian Travel Wonderland" book that had inspired me to visit Austria in the first place.

There is no mention of my emerging wisdom tooth in the diary, so I can only conclude it wasn't bothering me too much. Graz had another rail company  - the "Graz-Köflacher Eisenbahn" - which was government-owned, but run separately from the ÖBB no doubt for very good historical reasons. I hadn't been able to find space in the schedule for a ride to Köflach and back but I was able to walk over to the GKE station and have a quick look around.
Graz-Köflacher Eisenbahn railbuses at Graz. I'd have loved a ride!

Therefore, it wasn't until 11.57 that morning that I left Graz on an ÖBB local branch line train to Gleisdorf and a five-minute connection on to the Steiermärkische Landesbahn's "Weizerbahn" line and a train to Weiz.  The "train" consisted of a single ancient coach hauled by a centre-cab diesel loco, which due to absence of raised platforms at the stations seemed to tower over the passengers and appeared much larger than it actually was.

The train from Gleisdorf after arrival at Weiz.

The section of line on from Weiz to Birkfeld was another 760mm narrow-gauge line known as the "Feistritztalbahn". Whether it still saw a regular passenger service I'm not sure, but on the occasion of my visit I was able to catch a steam-hauled train that left Weiz at 13.20 for the 65-minute run to the end of the line at Birkfeld.
The "Folk Music" train to Birkfeld at Weiz.

The target market of the line's operators was obviously a little wider than just railway enthusiasts and the trip was advertised as not just a "Dampfbummelzug" (slow, steam tourist train) but also a "Folk Music Train", which meant live Austrian accordian music and folk singing, with which all the children on the train happily joined in!  The Austria Ticket was definitely not accepted on the Feistritztalbahn and the round trip set me back 90 schillings, which easily converted to  £4/10/- in old English money. 
Leaving Weiz for Birkfeld

The timetable allowed two hours at Birkfeld and most of the passengers decamped to one of the many restaurants in and around the station for a meal, although I settled once again for a picnic sourced from a local shop.

I've no idea what I did with the rest of my time at Birkfeld. There was the option of getting a post bus directly back to Graz, which despite not leaving until 1655 would have got me back earlier, but in the end I chose to return by steam train and back the way I'd come. The Landesbahn train from Weiz had gained a few freight wagons to add to its single coach and was now running as a "mixed train" (passenger and freight) and after changing back onto the ÖBB at Gleisdorf I was back in Graz by early evening.

to be continued...


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I always intended to travel on the Sheffield - Edale 'folk train' but I fear I may have left it too late, for now anyway. Is this a more common phenomenon that I had previously appreciated? Although I realise that one Austrian route in the 1980s and one South Yorkshire/Derbyshire one in the 2010s doesn't in itself add up to 'common'.

Jim said...

I think they have them (or used to) on the Middlesbrough to Whitby, Huddersfield to Sheffield via Penistone and Central Wales lines as well.