Monday, 1 July 2013

Cilly Ceason

It's the horizontal ledge that supports the gates of a lock when they are in the closed position. On the cut it's generally known as the "cill". Similar structures that support doors and windows in houses are usually referred to as "sills", which is the usual non-canal spelling, but it looks as if someone in the Canal & River Trust (or British Waterways before them) is hedging their bets!

No comments: