Wednesday 3 July 2013

Well Chuffed

Starcross Towers backs on to the West Coast Main Line, just to the south of Lancaster.  The line here runs in a deep cutting,  which means I can't actually see the trains although I can certainly hear them.
The constant procession of swooshing electrics and growling diesels is occasionally broken by the welcome sound of a steam loco.
Every Wednesday in the summer "The fellsman" excursion takes passengers for a trip on the Settle. & Carlisle line, leaving Lancaster at 07.10. I can lie in bed and listen to it leave the station: Chuff - Chuff - Chuff - Chuff.
I have time to go and put the kettle on and open the kitchen door before the train slowly gathers speed as it crosses the Lancaster Canal: Chuf-chuff-chuff-chuff,  Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff.
As it comes up the bank and into the cutting both the volume and the tempo rise: CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF, CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF! until it explodes past the house covering the garden in a cloud of white. (steam that is).
Phew!
Just one reason why I don't mind not spending all my time aboard Starcross.
(Oh, today's loco was 45231 The Sherwood Forester).

No comments: