Thursday 14 August 2014

Friends Old and New at Marple Locks

I'd decided that being single - handed and on someone else's boat that I wasn't going to do anything too exciting during my time on Areandare, and certainly not going to go down Marple Locks.
But moored-up near the top yesterday afternoon I couldn't resist taking a windlass and having a look to see if anyone else wanted a hand to tackle the flight.
At the second lock down I came across Dave and Gill on "Yes Please ", which rather answered my question of "Would you like a hand down the locks "

It was great to work the flight alongside people who took the same approach to locking as I do and we flew down the flight (in so far as that's possible with slow filling locks and heavy paddle gear) in two hours including the time taken to  refill a drained pound,  with Dave and Gill offering me a beer at the bottom,  which we enjoyed sitting in the bottom lock as it slowly emptied itself, all feeling that we'd made new friends.

This morning,  I emerged from the boat to see on the towpath an old boating chum,  Duncan,  who has mastered the art of boating without a boat by joining a boat club that has a lot of members always looking for crew. He was here to help one of them down the flight. I was tempted to do it all again,  but I had other things planned and decided that i'd done my bit.

This was a wise decision as it turned out as he rang me later to say he'd got thoroughly soaked in the heavy rain and was going straight home to dry out.

No comments: