Sunday 3 August 2014

The Chip Saloons of Great Yarmouth

I remember being intrigued by these on my first-ever visit to Great Yarmouth in 1972, so I was pleased to see they are still there. They're not mobile fish-and-chip vans - I've seen plenty of those and they still exist in many rural areas. In fact, they don't sell "fish-and-chips" or anything-and-chips for that matter - just chips, with a huge variety of "toppings" (ketchup, mayonnaise, even pickled onions!). Here's a typical menu:


I've come across similar stalls in Belgium and The Netherlands, but I've never seen anything like these anywhere in the UK other than the Market Place in Great Yarmouth, and the name is certainly unique.

So here they are:  THE CHIP SALOONS OF GREAT YARMOUTH!



Carr's and Deano's


Brewer's (Note those wonderful chimneys)


Docwta's (A "Stall", rather than a "Saloon!)
Scrivener's and Another inside the market
Unfortunately, as it was a Sunday most of the Saloons were closed, but those that were open were doing good business.


Queuing for Sunday lunch!
The Chip Saloons of Great Yarmouth: Long may they prosper!

No comments: