Tuesday 5 June 2018

A Rare Visitor. . .and Another Compensation Update

Although the presence of a canal was a factor in choosing to relocate to Lancaster when I finished work I realised that the sheer inconvenience of reaching it from the rest of the network would severely limit the number of visiting boaters from amongst those I met whilst running Starcross. So I was pleased to discover, through reading their blog, that Barry and Sandra on Areandare (aka "The Home Brew Boat") would be coming this way in June. 

In the event they were forced into a change of plan and their time in Lancaster co-incided with a holiday Sandra had arranged, so it was just Barry that we met up with over the last few days. He arrived in town on Thursday and, after helping him find a place to tie-up, I also helped him find a few of Lancaster's better real ale pubs, which he quite seemed to like!


Then yesterday, him having moved on to Carnforth, Hil and I, along with Hil's 94-year old mum, Jean, joined him for a trip up to the very top of the Lancaster Canal at Tewitfield and back.  Helped by the wonderful sunny weather we have - most unusually - been enjoying in the north west this Spring (I can't actually remember when it last rained!) we all enjoyed the cruise. It was a surprise for Jean as we only invited her at the last moment and she really didn't know what to expect, but she sat happily in the front well all the way there and - after a picnic lunch - back.
Barry with Hil and Jean back at Carnforth
Barry tells me he's not usually someone who insists on travelling every inch of a particular waterway (they are "buffer-touchers" in railway-speak, but I'm not sure what the waterway term is). However as Tewitfield is the northernmost point on the connected UK system he made an exception and we proceeded past the winding hole for the last 30 or 40 metres to the very end, before he gave me back the tiller for the return run to Carnforth.
"Touching the buffers" at the very top of the connected system at Tewitfield

It was, as we say oop north  "a reet gradely day out" and I'm keeping my eye out for any other bloggers heading this way.


Compensation Update:

Still nothing from Northern Rail on my claim for a free ticket (see last two posts) but I have heard from industry watchdog "Transport Focus":

Dear Mr Davies
Thank you for your recent contact with Transport Focus.
Unfortunately, despite our efforts, we have not received a conclusive response from Northern (Arriva) to your query. As such, your case has now been passed to a Senior Passenger Team Adviser to escalate your complaint within Northern (Arriva).
Once we have received further information from Northern (Arriva), we will contact you again.

Kind regards

Theresa Astley

Passenger Team Assistant
Transport Focus
The independent transport user watchdog

I suppose it's progress of a sort. 


No comments: