Friday 14 June 2019

It's Grand Up North


The highlight of a recent visit to Cheetham Hill, one of the - shall we say - less salubrious suburbs of the fair city of Manchester.  A bus heading to Salford, where I first developed my love for the north-west and a Joseph Holt pub - still one of my favourite brewers.

Strangely, despite being a city of considerable size and with its own large council-owned bus fleet, Salford's buses never showed "Salford" as a destination as this number 53 is doing today. But Joseph Holt has made its money through resisting change and sticking to what it knows best - no nonsense beer sold in no nonsense pubs like the Egerton Inn, which is every bit as traditional inside as it looks from the outside.

2 comments:

Halfie said...

I lived in Cheetham Hill for a year while at Salford, sharing a house on Woodlands Road. My car got broken into while there. I sometimes used the train to Victoria from Woodlands Road Station, but a quick look at Google Maps shows that that station no longer exists (replaced by Queen's Road?) I think the pub down the road was The Woodlands. Someone was murdered there. As you say, not the most salubrious area then!

Jim said...

Yes, Woodlands Road was replaced by two new tram stops at Queen's Road and Abraham Moss.
There are nicer bits of Manchester and Salford, but perhaps not as interesting!