Tuesday 16 February 2021

Fifty Years of Buses

 This blog is supposed to be about buses as well as boats, so to continue the "50 years ago" theme here is a photo of a new bus that I took in Manchester just over fifty years ago, on 27th January 1971

A Manchester bus 1971

I find it remarkable that that bus was new fifty years ago. With a contemporary livery, some updated styling and the removal of the centre door (outside London a short-lived 1970s fad) it could pass for a new bus today.

A Manchester bus today

Buses haven't really changed very much in the last fifty years. Certainly a lot less than they changed in the previous fifty.

Not a Manchester bus, but they wouldn't have been very different in 1921.

Writing this has made me wonder what buses will look like in 2071, but I don't suppose I'll ever know!


2 comments:

SteveB said...

There was a very wide mixture of buses in and around Manchester 50 years ago. Compare a Salford Daimler CVG6 with exposed radiator with a 'Mancunian' - it was starkly different.

Jim said...

You are right of course, Steve. But I was comparing new buses from each era.