Thursday 26 February 2009

She's Still There Then

Even though I've had over four years to get used to the idea, I'm still not entirely happy about leaving Starcross unattended on her mooring, especially at times when other commitments prevent me from making the 140 mile round trip to Norbury Junction.
So I'm very grateful to Sue on "No Problem" for posting this photo on her blog:

It tells me that "Starcross" is alive and well and safely waiting for my next visit. The last time Sue saw Starcross she was at Norbury Wharf waiting for a new engine to be fitted (Starcross, that is) after a breakdown on August Bank Holiday Monday 2007. Sue will be pleased to learn that the new engine, an Isuzu 35, is working well, is far quieter than the old Perkins it replaced and, together with the new Python Drive flexible coupling, has reduced vibration in the boat to almost nil.

I'm just waiting now for Simon at Norbury Wharf to fulfill his promise to get me a new mooring spot away from the tree you can see in the background which covers Starcross with leaves (and acorns) in the Autumn, bird sh!t in the summer and which I expect every winter gale to bring crashing down on the roof!

I still won't be able to get up to Norbury for another fortnight when it will be 5 weeks since my last visit - probably the longest time I'll have left her unattended since I bought her in 2004. So, "Thanks again, Sue"

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

I know what you mean. In a quiet spot like Norbury you know she will be OK..... but you just cant be sure.
Captn Paranoid

Unknown said...

All good things come to he who waits, we go stir crazy if we are stuck in one place for more than 3 to 4 days, but then we are retired.